Monday, June 22, 2020

Lake James- Shortoff Mountain Trail

"This may be the best view in North Carolina," says, author Joe Miller. 



The Trailhead. 


Two miles of steadily upward climb totaling an elevation gain of 1155 feet.


Cold freshwater for Gypsy. I was able to save my bottled water for myself and filled her water bowl with this.


A magnified closeup picture of Lake James. The lake is 1200 acres in size.


   I had a constant view of Lake James for most of the hike. This is the actual photo.



As I neared the top of Shortoff Mountian the trail became a bit more vertical. The trail developers aided hikers with some rugged stairs.


 Looking down at the 12-mile long Linville Gorge from the 2883-foot Shortoff Mountain.



An intersection where the Mountain-to-Sea Trail crosses the Shortoff Trail.


Shortoff Mountain is open to backpackers and campers. This would be a fantastic campsite.





At the top of Shortoff Mountain was this pretty little mountain pond. This is where I ended my hike and began the much easier descend back down the mountain. Thanks to my app All Trail it gave me all sorts of information. My hike totaled 4.7-miles and it took me 3:17:50 hours. I had an elevation gain of 1155 ft and burned 1516 calories which most of that I'm sure was on the way up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment