Thursday, September 28, 2023

Mammoth Cave National Park

I arrived at around sunset (6:45) on September 19. Thanks to Google Maps, I found Houchin Farry Campground in total darkness. I set up my campsite by lantern light and, made a fire, ate my dinner.

The following day, I drove the 15 minutes to where the showers, laundromat, camp store, Visitor's Center, and Post Office were all located, the other side of the park from where I was camping. The sign said, "No water till 10:30 a.m. Water main break." 




While waiting for the water to be turned on to take a shower ( I hadn't showered in three days ), I was down to wearing swimming trunks because all my clothes were dirty. I made the best of the situation and learned about this small train. Before roads were built, people visited the caves by this train.


There are other self-guided things to see. We visited the Cedar Sink - a 1.8-mile hike and viewed the vast sinks in the earth.



This is the same entrance of the Historic Tour I took the next day. They allow you to go far in the cave opening while the tours are closed. There is a locked gate to prevent you from going any further.



 Gypsy is enjoying the morning sun. She is lying in the very grass that I caught chiggers from.


The view of the Green River from the Houchin Ferry Campground. None of the ferries in the park were operational because the water needed to be 10 feet deep, and the river was down to 8.5 feet.

I did some off-grid exploring because you can't find this on the park map. There was this gated gravel road off of Green River Ferry Road. There were no signs saying to keep out, so I parked the van at the gate, walked the road a half mile, and came to this homestead.







I noticed to the right a barely legible trail leading into the woods.


Obviously, seeing the falling tree limbs told me this isn't a well-traveled trail, if at all anymore.




What I found astonished me. The trail stopped at this clearing in the woods, and there were 4 or 5  grave headstones. None had any markings on them except for one.




Sarah J??? Wife of... born 1859, died 1899.

My final adventure was the Mammoth Cave Tour.


This is all I got while on my cave tour. I couldn't get my phone camera flash to turn off, and flash wasn't allowed. No other light was allowed either. While shooting this video, my phone flashlight was on, and I stopped the video after the guy turned and looked at me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment