Monday, September 7, 2015

Piedmont Environmental Center


The Piedmont Environmental Center (PEC) is practically in my back yard; well 2.6-miles away to be more exact. The PEC is my go-to place for my daily walks. The Center is a 376-acre preserve with 4-miles of trails along High Point City Lake.







I usually walk the Bill Faver Lakeshore Trail and then take an excursion on the Raccoon Run Trail around the peninsula. To keep from getting bored with the same scenery, I'll mix in the other smaller trail on occasion.









There are countless picturesque views of High Point City Lake, particularly during the autumn season when you see the reflection of the colorful trees off the water of the lake.




The center has built a half dozen benches for hikers to have a rest or for those wanting to meditate while they bask in the peaceful waters of the lake.




I am surprised at some of the unusually large trees that have grown here.




The forest is mixed. The picture shows four different trees grouped together. The variety of what you'll mostly see here are Tulip Popular, Swett Gums, Red Maple, Longleaf Pine, Sourwood, and Red Oak trees.




During the hot summer, the creeks become dry creek beds.





At the intersection of the Bill Faver Lakeshore and Dogwood Trails, there is an open area that was at one time a homestead. It shows some of its remains from parts of a foundation and metal from a roof. Now it is a field covered in Kudzu.




In this small forest, I have seen beaver and spooked deer. I've heard the hoot of an owl and the bark of a fox. Coming from the woodlands of Northern Michigan it's no wonder why I love spending so much time here. 

Many of the towns we considered moving to didn't have a natural wooded area close by to walk my dog. When I discovered the PEC, that became the final piece of the puzzle when taking into account all the other considerations like schools, nearness to work, church, affordable housing, crime rates, etc. In 1972, there were some citizens of Jamestown and High Point, who had some foresight when they procured this acreage of land. 

No comments:

Post a Comment