Sunday, October 4, 2015

Hanging Rock State Park-Hanging Rock Trail






 The book 100 Classic Hikes In North Carolina describes the start of the Hanging Rock Trail as a "pedestrian Autobahn" and from the looks of it the author was accurate.




The trail turned from concrete to gravel then the real hiking began starting at these steps. 


Broad wooden steps gave way to narrow rock steps.









As we approached Hanging Rock, the trail became a full blown mountain hike and as strenuous as it can get. Aaron and I took several rest stops along the way including one beneath the rugged base of Hanging Rock.




In the middle of the primary rock of the summit, you see this survey marker. I refuse to wander very far in either direction from this spot. Aaron pleaded with me to take him closer to the edge, but our safety was the utmost concern for me.



Another hiker with his Ridgeback dog bravely peeked over the edge inches from what could be nearly a thousand-foot fall.









After a week of rain and the forecast calling for another week of rain, my Wednesday day off happen to be the only clear day. The North Carolina Division of Parks and Recreation says from atop Hanging Rock you can see Virginia to the North, the Blue Ridge Mountains to the West, Winston-Salem to the South, and Greensboro to the East.


I do enjoy having a human companion with me and especially if it's at least one of my sons. I love my dog Gypsy, but she isn't much of a conversationalist. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great hike!! I love seeing all your pictures too. I know Aaron enjoyed hiking with his daddy. He told me how excited he was to be going hiking with his daddy. Great father/son time.

    ReplyDelete