Sunday, April 12, 2020

Atlantic & Yadkin Greenway - Palmetto Trail

The Atlantic & Yadkin Greenway is a Rail-to-trail project. I started at Strawberry Road located at the north end of Brandt Lake and I went SE towards Lake Brandt. The Greenway starts at NC Highway 150, 1.7 miles the other direction across the road.



A cleverly designed sign marking the name of the greenway.


 About a third of a mile, Gypsy and I crossed over the north end of Lake Brandt on this footbridge.


The greenway passes by the Bur-Mill Park. Here you're looking at a bike repair station including an air pump.


This sign tells you all about the A&Y railway.


I took the Palmetto Trail in a counter-clockwise direction. This trail goes around the south end of Lake Brandt then turning left on the sidewalk along Old Battleground Road for a few hundred yards I headed back to the greenway via the Nat Green Trail.


A peaceful forest walk.


A walking bridge over the Horsepen Creek alongside the Old Battleground Road. It looks to me like an old railroad bridge.



 Heading back on the Nat Greene Trail, a rough estimate but this boardwalk was 180 steps and assuming I have the average man's stride of  2.5 feet, that would make this 450 feet long.


H. Michael Weaver Bridge over the south end of Lake Brandt. From here just a few hundred yards is where I entered the Palmetto Trail and I return the 1.8 miles retracing my same route back to my parked vehicle.


No comments:

Post a Comment