Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Mason Tract Pathway


My journey began at the M-72 trailhead.



All that's left of the first bridge on the Thayer Creek Loop. 



The second bridge on the Thayer Creek Loop.







An open meadow overrun with ferns. I could barely see Abbie or the trail. 





Two views of the South Branch of the Au Sable River.




Two different boardwalks that helped keep my feet dry in a swampy area.



What once was the Durant Castle.





The remains of the Durant Castle today.



The Mason Tract Pathway trailhead at the Chase Bridge Road.


The Mason Tract Pathway is located 18 miles West of Mio, or 14 miles East of Grayling on M-72. Turn on Canoe Harbor Campground Raod and the parking area is 25 yards on the left.

The beginning of the pathway goes through a Jack pine forest. After crossing the Noe Harbor State Forest Campground entrance road another half mile, I reached the South Branch of the Au Sable River.

From here the pathway follows the river upstream for 9.5 miles. I hiked the Pathway in segments by finding two-track roads that gave me access to where I had stopped on my previous hike. 

The Downeys, High Banks, Durant's Castle are three major access points and are a good place to end and begin again if you don't plan on walking the entire pathway at once.

I'm thankful that the Mason family donated this 4000-acre piece of land to the State of Michigan so that it will remain undeveloped for future generations to enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment