Saturday, August 22, 2015

Pilot Mountain State Park-Ledge Spring, Grindstone, Grassy Ridge, and Mountain Trail

This hike took place in April 2013.

My first North Carolina hiking adventure took me to Pilot Mountain State Park. My dog Abbie and I did the entire 8.5-mile loop around the Monadnock. We started at the parking lot at the top going into the picnic area. We began our walk in a clockwise direction by connecting to several trails (in order): Ledge Spring, Grindstone, Grassy Ridge, Mountain, then finishing again on Ledge Spring Trail.



Throughout my hike, this was my view of the Monadnock.





The Spring Ledge Trail had many views like these of the valley below.






The Grindstone Trail is a moderate 3-mile hike with rolling hills and unusual rock formations. I encountered only a few hikers, and after 2.5 miles I found myself entering a campground. I took this opportunity to use a restroom and replenish my water supply. A half mile more going across the road and past a Ranger Station you start heading South on the Grassy Ridge Trail.




















Grassy Ridge Trail is for both horseback riders and hikers. The trail goes for 1.7 miles and ends at Pinnacle Hotel Road, which borders the Southeastern portion of the park. I walked 50 yards along the shoulder of the road to where the Mountain Trail begins.

On this day, I met no horseback riders but did encounter one hiker who was the same gentleman I had met on the Grindstone Trail. He was making the same trip around the mountain but in the opposite direction.  I was glad to find a creek for my dog to have a drink because I had only 20 ounces of water left.

I had already hiked several hours and was feeling the effects of tired legs. One saving grace was the temperature throughout my hike ranged from the mid 60's to low 70's. Another good thing about walking this time of year is the tick and snake activity is almost non-existing. I was glad that I had about 4 miles left on my hike, but I was now starting the most strenuous portion.



The Mountain Trail lived up to its strenuous red dot rating. The trail was in some places hardly noticeable, and the only way to know which direction to go was to follow the red dots on the trees.  Typically 2.5 miles takes me just under an hour to walk. But as an hour turned into 2, I became concerned that I was not going to make it back to my car before dark when the park closed. The  Mountain Trail ended with a steep incline that I had to stop twice to catch my breath because I thought my heart was going to come out of my chest. Finally at the top we were again at the Spring Ledge Trail. The last mile was a steady climb and with my legs feeling like lead weights it took all my strength to get to my car.



I'm looking forward to my next trip to North Carolina and Pilot Mountain. I have other trails that I did not have time to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment